Thursday, September 9, 2010

If You Want Something Done Right...

... you've got to do it yourself.

I went to a job fair today, and half of the booths and workshops were geared towards entrepreneurs.

That little dream I've had for a few years--the one about starting my own design and marketing business--started tapping me on the shoulder. Hello, it whispered in my ear. I'm right here. 

I tried to brush it away with the back of my hand, but it just moved over to the other ear. Maybe it's a sign, it said. Maybe they're all telling you to pay attention to me.

"I'm scared," I whispered back. "I don't know how to handle you. I'm just a kid pretending to be a grownup. I can't start a business. And besides, don't you have to have money to do that? I need a job. I don't exactly have any money."

Still, I went to the workshop for start-ups. "Twenty-five dollars," Lecture Lady said. "That's all it takes to register with the Secretary of State as a sole proprietor."

Twenty-five bucks? I thought. That's it?

See? said The Little Dream.

"Leave me alone," I said.

I don't listen to myself very often.

2 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

You CAN start a business. And should do so. But I don't think you need to pay for a workshop. See if a library offers one for free instead! :-)

Jess said...

Oh, haha! The workshop was free. I would have to pay the secretary of state to register my business. IF I do it. IF. ;)