Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Wok of Art

Haikus give me some trouble. Ever since that fateful day in the third grade when Mrs. Richens assigned her poor students the task of creating a Haiku in ten-minutes with the unspoken threat “or no recess” looming in the air, I've been at a loss to write what could be subjectively considered a “worthy” Haiku. A work of art. After cheating my way out of truly fulfilling the assignment, it has been my life-long goal to rightfully claim that recess. The recess my nine-year-old mentality stole those long years ago by scribbling a couple of illegible lines on that blue and beige page.
Perhaps someday, I will have finally earned the right to play that game of four-square. But for now, here is a small, but tasty smattering of a few Haikus that will hopefully bring me one step closer to achieving my ultimate ambition.

(Or, as the title implies, here is a . . . Chinese bowl . . . pan . . . of Japanese . . . poetic . . . flavors)

Ahem. One of first Haikus I came across and actually enjoyed was shared by a high school history teacher. Some of you may have heard it before:

Duck duck duck duck duck
duck duck duck duck duck duck duck
duck duck duck duck goose
- Becky Langford


Not a work of art. Slightly overused. But entertaining and clever nonetheless.
I ran across another Haiku—apparently one of the best known Japanese Haikus—just the other day. Since the Japanese does me no good, here is the English translation:

Old pond . . .
a frog leaps in
water's sound
-Matsuo Bashō

Right. Perhaps a work of art, you be the judge. However, just like the first, it fails to give me the tools to write a truly poetic Haiku. But it is very naturey, which I hear, is a traditional requirement of Haikus. Here's a Haiku by yours truly, in which I broke that tradition accidentally on purpose:

Found lost grocery list
cheese cloth and onions you say?
two trips to the store


True story.
But once again, the oh-so-tricky, ultimate Haiku alludes me. And so the quest continues.

Your help is needed. Please feel free to add to my collection.

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

Some cheese cloth indeed?
I really wonder what for.
We may never know.

I'm not good either.
My uncle publishes books
Of it. So I don't.

My only attempts
Have been at my Austen blog.
Well, of late at least.

Jess said...

For your own safety
Do not walk alone in this
Area past dark

ldsjaneite said...

Jess--isn't that a direct quote from the signs on Maesar Hill?

Jess said...

Yes, yes it is.