Thursday, June 24, 2010

"I Thought I Heard..."

The early elementary school years were amazing, music-wise. It was in this time that I learned such greats as
Do-Re-Mi
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Great Green Globs of Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts
The 49th Street Song
&
Polly Wolly Doodle

I learned last week (after announcing a particularly interesting sneeze on my part) that Amazing Jess has not heard of Polly Wolly Doodle. There might be so many others who haven't, so I thought I would enlighten.

I couldn't just tell you about it. I had to include something so you could hear it. And as I don't really like dealing with midi files and such online, YouTube seemed a good choice.

I'm not a big fan of Shirley Temple any more. Not like I was when I was younger. Yet I still have a loyalty to her because as a be-ringletted, singing-loving child myself, we had enough in common that I somehow cannot write her off as completely annoying. I tried her version. It did not have my favorite verse in it. Besides, I have straight hair this week.

I enjoy (cartoon) Alvin & the Chipmunks occasionally. Occasionally. This song seemed right up their alley. But they changed some of the words! And it was just a little too high at the end.

At last, I found one. A choir version. The words are pretty understandable in it, and it's a really fun rendition. Plus, I got this thing about choirs (having been in so many for so long).

So here you go, Wondering & Waiting World. Enjoy the Greatness of
Polly Wolly Doodle

1 comment:

Cheri Kay said...

I had never heard that song either! It is wonderful :)