Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sit. Stay.

One of the nice things about Philmont is that a lot of the full time staff have pets. So even though I can't have a pet of my own (until summer, when I'll have 6 ponies, 2 goats, 2 sheep, 2 burritos and a plethora of chickens), I can always count on somebody to go out of town and ask me to take care of their critters while they are away.

I have been critter-sitting for a Ranch family for a few days, and I have had a blast. They have 2 delightful dogs (BB and Velvet), 4 kitties, and a horse (S'more).

When they heard my alarm this morning, BB and Velvet came running into the bedroom to help me get up. Velvet, the smaller of the two, reached up as high as she could with her front paws and rested them on the edge of the mattress, then set her face down on her paws and looked me in the eye as if to say, "Good Morning, friend! Did you sleep well? I LOVE YOU." Not even kidding. Her stumpy little tail was wagging so fast I could hardly see it.

After something like that, how could you expect my heart to NOT melt? Impossible.

3 comments:

Cheri Kay said...

Awww--I LOVE pets! I miss my little puppy waking me up in the morning. It's the best :)

ldsjaneite said...

Eh--I'm OK with pets. At least I've had more than a year of living with them to add to my experiences. I totally understand their completely loving you without needing a cause or reason. It's kind of odd. I wouldn't mind it if the female dog weren't always underfoot with me tripping on her. Does insurance cover "accidents caused by clingy pets?"

Jess said...

I am so glad these dogs are not of the "clingy" variety. They are very good and quiet and are more than content to spend the majority of their time laying in the sun outside and leaving me to do my own thing. What a relief after the last dog, who whined incessantly and demanded attention 24/7. Ugh. THAT is not something I enjoyed waking up to.