Thursday, February 18, 2010

City Shock

I feel like a mid-western hick. True, I only totaled five months in the land called Desolate--but I'm sure to the people in this northwestern hub, I look corn-fed born and raised.

It's just that there are so many . . . noises here. The cars outside my bedroom window, the neighborhood kids, the roller-bladers, the dogs across the street. The country was so quiet. All I ever heard was wind and rain on the other side of my window.

But here, noisy people seem to inhabit every possible space.

I'm excited for this new chapter of my life. I really am. There are so many opportunities just waiting to be harvested. And the arts and entertainment scene is a definite step up from where I came from.

So I'm content with this strange, culture shocked, corn-out-of-field feeling. But I can bet that the people who are unfortunate enough to drive behind me on the constant stream of highways that connect one suburb to another are, lets say, less than content.

Don't worry though, I'll get the hang of it eventually

3 comments:

Jess said...

Yay for Portland!! And maybe that improved arts and culture atmosphere will lead to an AWESOME, CheriKay-worthy job! Good luck, and let us know how it goes! I like exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!

ldsjaneite said...

Big cities scare me. Yet I've noticed that some of the west coast big cities are a bit easier than, say, D.C. and NYC. Of course, I've never actually LIVED in one of them.

Good luck!!! Now I have even more incentive to want to move to the Portland area. :-)

Cheri Kay said...

I hope I find a great job too! :)
But that Philmont job does sound fun, more fun than some of these clerical jobs I'm looking at here.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes!!

PS I apparently don't believe in periods

PPS Yes Heidi! Move to PORTLAND :D. And I'm sure that this city isn't nearly as scary as those east coast buggers.