Thursday, February 25, 2010

Please Do Not Sit On The Chairs

Smells like old stuff in here
Like sweaty socks
And gunpowder

Eighty-three years old
All original
Well, mostly

They laugh at our jokes,
These tour-goers,
And don't seem to mind our mistakes

Or how we have to keep checking our notes
For figures and dates
And a hundred different names

So many faces
So many stories in these halls
You can't buy houses like this
With their history already kept
In pen and ink
On yellowed paper

Hard to think they lived here once
That it wasn't always a place for tourists
Snapping pictures

Making their own history

4 comments:

ldsjaneite said...

I love your writing. Yet as in all poetry, I'm lost to deeper meanings.

Jess said...

Haha, no deeper meanings here. I gave a tour of our 83 year old Villa with two of my co-workers. It was fun, and a beautiful experience. I just felt the only way to express it was in really, really poorly written poetry... ;)

Cheri Kay said...

Sweet! I sounds like it was awesome!

Cheri Kay said...

Um--I mean it.

I likes words.